Tuesday, April 29, 2008

History repeats itself

I've been following the political events in my own country, Italy, with mixed feelings of worry, disbelief and sadness.

In the last political election, one sign was clear to me. The left party disappeared and left the right wing with incommensurable power.

It seems to me that the concept of checks and balances totally disappeared, leaving the path open to extremists and political fanatics.

I don't know about my Italian folks but I'm kind of seeing a deja vu here. And my deja vu was even confirmed by this photo I saw today in the Italian newspaper La Repubblica. Romans were celebrating the victory of the new mayor of Rome, Alemanno, waving their hands with a fascist greeting. I don't know about you but images like this one make me think that Italians have forgotten about their past. And they really make me angry.


I think when I get into grad school, I will seriously think about doing a short documentary in Italy. It's definitely a good time to document a few things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ivana,
congratulations for your great blog, I will anxiously wait for your documentary about the Italian situation. I would like to let you know about the blog of a great friend of mine, teacher of economy for 20 years in high-school in Italy: http://giulianopaganin.blogspot.com/
maybe you can find something interesting in there.
A big hug,

your Italian friend living in Spain Tommaso